Prior Approval Petition

It is expected that, once enrolled at Aurora University, a student will complete all coursework at AU. When a student wishes to register for coursework at another institution due to extenuating circumstances, or to take a correspondence course, or a CLEP examination, they must file a Petition for Prior Approval seeking approval from the Dean of Student Success to make sure that the work they plan to do is not available at Aurora University, will be transferable, and is applicable toward their degree. This petition must be submitted for review prior to registering for coursework at other institutions. Students retaking courses for grade replacement must do so at Aurora University. 

After completing a previously approved course for transfer, the student must have an official transcript sent to the Office of the Registrar. The transcript must arrive within 30 days of the completion of the course. 

General Petition

When a student wishes to request an exemption from any part of the General Degree requirements, they must fill out a General Petition stating their request and file it with the Office of the Registrar. The student should seek approval from the academic chair and dean/executive director or designate of the program in which the student is declared as a major, and/or of the subject area of the course in question, before submitting the petition to the Office of the Registrar. The University Registrar approves general petitions in accordance with guidelines issued by the General Education Committee and in consultation with the Program Chair or Academic Deans and Administrative Dean, as appropriate. Contact the Crouse Center for Academic Advising or the Office of the Registrar for additional information.