Academic Leave of Absence and Re-admission
Students who have begun their coursework at Aurora University and must interrupt their course of study for one term (excluding summer) will be able to return the following semester with no additional action needed. Students who have begun their coursework at Aurora University and must interrupt their course of study for more than one term (excluding summer) must file an Academic Leave of Absence (LOA) form via WebAdvisor in order to be able to resume studies according to the conditions described below.
- Academic leaves may be granted for up to two academic years (four terms excluding summer).
- Students on an approved LOA for no more than two consecutive terms (excluding summer) will generally be allowed to return under the catalog that was in effect when they were last enrolled as long as this does not result in an obligation on the part of the University to provide coursework or programs that have been altered or discontinued in the interim.
- Students on an approved LOA for three to four consecutive terms (excluding summer) will be required to return under the catalog in effect at the time of their return.
- Students on an approved LOA that has expired after four consecutive terms (excluding summer) must apply for readmission through the Office of Admission.
- Students who interrupt their studies for one academic term (excluding summer) without an approved LOA and need to extend their leave for additional terms must submit a LOA prior to the end of the second week of the second term of absence.
- For students who begin an approved LOA before the end of the second week of the term, the counting of consecutive terms will begin with the current semester. For students who begin an approved LOA after the end of the second week of the term, the counting of consecutive terms will begin with the next semester (excluding summer).
- Students who are on an active LOA and are ready to return must complete and submit a “Return from Academic Leave of Absence” form located on the Registrar web page prior to the beginning of the desired term to return. Students whose LOA has expired must contact the Office of Admission.
- Students who plan to attend another institution during a LOA must submit a Petition for Prior Approval. Without the Petition for Prior Approval on file, enrollment at any other institution of post-secondary education during a leave of absence from Aurora University automatically cancels all provisions of the leave of absence.
- Submission of a completed Academic Leave of Absence/Withdrawal form will result in the cancelation of all future course registrations. When applicable, if a student indicates they do not intend to complete the current semester, the student will be withdrawn from all current semester coursework in accordance with University regulations.