This program is offered in the traditional and AU Online format.
Aurora University offers a curriculum designed to meet Illinois State Board of Education (ISBE) requirements to become endorsed as school social workers in Illinois. The program is available as a track for students currently enrolled in the Master of Social Work degree or as an endorsement-only program for students who have already completed an MSW degree and wish to add the endorsement.
AU will guide students through the ISBE licensure process and support students in preparing and registering for the School Social Work Content Exam.
Post Graduate MSW students Policy and Procedures for Illinois Professional Educator License with School Social Work Endorsement
The applicant must have earned a Master of Social Work degree from a CSWE approved program.
- A completed Graduate Application for Admission (aurora.edu/auapply)
- Transcripts (official, sealed in envelope) from all prior undergraduate and graduate colleges and/or universities. Aurora University accepts official electronic transcripts at AU-ETranscripts@aurora.edu.
- Master of Social Work degree from a CSWE approved program with an average GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale. Students with a GPA of less than 3.0 will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
- Two letters of recommendation from individuals familiar with the student’s professional and/or academic abilities
- A curriculum vitae or detailed resume that includes work experience, educational background, professional experience, professional activities, honors, professional publications and/or presentations, and other relevant information relating to the applicant’s leadership background.
The School Social Work Content Exam can be completed when the student feels comfortable taking it, but the student must achieve and a passing score, and it must be posted to the student's ELIS account before the student is eligible for licensure. Additional information about the SSW Content Exam can be found here.
The program must be completed within four consecutive semesters from the first semester after being officially accepted into the endorsement program. Students are not required, but are encouraged to enroll in elective course offerings related to school social work practice as a means of rounding out their training experience.
Endorsement Courses (must obtain a B or higher in all endorsement courses)
|Social Work Practice With the Exceptional Child
|School Social Work Policy and Practice I 3
|School Social Work Policy and Practice II 4
|Advanced PEL School Field Instruction I 3
|Advanced PEL School Field Instruction II 4
Illinois State Board of Education requirements for endorsement/licensure are frequently modified. Please contact the School Social Work Program Coordinator for current requirements.
Recommended to be taken before SWK-6650 Advanced PEL School Field Instruction I.